3rd Jan. 2012
Dear Family
After Christmas came some snow. It snowed again last night and it is getting colder. I love the cold though.. the smell of snow and cold air really reminds me of good times skiing and other fond memories. Yesterday the Library was closed because of the Holiday, that is why I am writing today. This past week has been really good. We have been blessed with the spirit to find some new people to teach and share the Restored Gospel with. We have been eating really good. I made golden curry chicken for a family after church on Sunday. On Saturday we helped out Br. by splitting a bunch of wood. He was very grateful and it instilled in him a greater desire to serve others himself.
This last Sunday during Sunday school I taught the lesson in Gospel Principles on the Holy Ghost. I used the personal story of Grandpa Petersen's Grandpa, Neils "R" Petersen, when he was only 16 in Denmark. He left home to work on a farm at the age of 14 and while he was doing that his Father came to him and told him of the news of His mother desiring to become a Mormon. He was very troubled, at this age he had desired to be thought of well by his peers and become established in the community with good reputation. Knowing the 'stigma' of Mormonism was not popular he was deeply troubled. One day being weighed down by sorrow and deep concern over the matter he went to the barn where he would cut hay. He knelt in prayer and asked God to take away his Mother's desire to become a Mormon, but if it was the truth to make it known to him and the rest of his family. After the prayer he felt an overwhelming peace come over him and the concern and sorrow and darkness had left him. Some relatives say he heard a voice say "It is true" three times. He decided to learn more from the missionaries. One year from that he went on a mission in the Copenhagen district at the age of 17. Then later he went on a mission to the island of Bornholm and became a branch president there. The Holy Ghost bore witness to his soul. Giving him the strength to do the right thing and courage to become a Latter-day Saint. When I read this story during a study I felt the spirit strongly, and when I read it to the class on Sunday it was very powerful. I am grateful for having this piece of family history that shows the story of faith of our ancestor. I would like to learn more about some of our other ancestors, if you have anything to send me.
I am really enjoying this work. I see God's hand helping me and others in His work especially as I rely and trust on God. I hope you all are having a happy new year. Thank you for your emails mom and dad. I am excited and glad to hear that the building in Harbour Pointe is almost in use and for the open house. I love each one of you very much and wish I could help you to feel the real extent of that love.
With Love,
Elder Lans Drake
No comments:
Post a Comment