Monday, January 23, 2012

Neils Petersen Legacy

23rd Jan 2012 Dear Family, Dad thanks for taking the pictures of the snow. Several people told me about the storm that hit the coast and the flooding in Oregon and I was thinking in my mind.. I hope you take pictures. I am glad you had a spiritual week last week with the open house and everything else. We had a storm here in Linton as well. Since I am in southern Indiana the snow that happens melts away. The weather has been odd though. On Friday night there was freezing rain and it left a sheet of ice on everything and the Bloomington Zone's fleet of cars were grounded and we were to limit traveling on Saturday. Because of the ice there was fewer people at church on Sunday then normal, but by the afternoon the ice was melted. I found out something amazing this week on Tuesday! Elder Petersen is my fourth cousin! I was reading Niels Rasmus Petersen's history Mom gave me, and he recognized alot of the names. Rasmus Petersen is both of our 3rd Great Grandfather. Niels Rasmus Petersen's younger brother Christen Petersen is Elder Petersen's 2nd Great grandfather. Pretty neat! On Sunday had a neat experience. Because the Gospel Doctrine teacher didn't make it and there wasn't a ton of people we had a combined class in the chapel and Bishop asked if I would teach what I was going to in the Gospel principles class to everyone. It was on the Scriptures, The lesson was directed and filled with the spirit as it was directed with asking questions to the class. I bore my testimony of how I found the scriptures in a time when I was confused, when and angel (Mom) put them out for me in the garage in a place where I could easily find them when I went looking. How they brought a peace and direction into me. There was a friend of a member that they had brought that is living with them that is 20 years old. During the lesson i could see his interest in the message and material being covered and that the spirit was working in him. After the lesson I got to talking with him and found out it was his second time coming to Church in his life. I asked him if he would be interested in learning more and meeting with us. He said he has read the some in the bible but needs help in knowing how to study the scriptures. We setup to go over to their home later this week and teach him. This last week was a great week. Many great experiences. I am grateful for being placed at the right time to help people come closer to Christ. Mom, the only thing I can think of that I might want is more rice noodles, phad thai packets and golden curry. I loved making and eating and sharing that. Brandi, I am glad to hear the kids had fun in the snow. Storms are the best as a child :) . With Love, Elder Lans Drake

No comments:

Post a Comment